14 September, 2012

Someone Needs An Education (Edition I)

Teaching Middle School students has given me a newfound appreciation for what I apparently do not know.  This is a semi-frequent post series high-lighting things I, according to my students, should be educated on.  I share my education with you all...

 This is One Direction:

They are a British boy-band from some prior season of that country's X-Factor reality show contest.  Every middle school girl wants to marry them.  They are the imported N*SYNC - and New Kids On The Block before that - of this generation.  Except they all look twelve.

Except they're not twelve.  They are [average age] nineteen.

They also apparently have names.  If you don't know them you are old and lame.

Two of these 19 year-old pop tarts have tattoos.  These two go by "Harry" and "Zayn" (not a misspelling, by the way).  One's social standing amongst friends could potentially be ruined if you a) do not have an opinion on said tattoos and b) if your opinion is wrong.

How did I escape this loaded question unscathed and blissfully still ignorant?

Well, it turns out "Harry" has been inked only a couple times.  "Zayn," however, has eight.  Or maybe nine.  Or eight.  This was a hot-button issue and, fearing for my life, I saw my escape and side-shuffled away just in time.

Lesson Learned: "Clean-cut," parent-friendly teeny-boppers singing harmless, catchy puppy-love songs apparently rival some bikers in the tat department.  What would Joey McIntyre think?!?

******EDITED TO ADD (21 - September, 2012)******

These girls aren't messing around.  Today I received a quiz.  One question, five points, spelling counts.

I failed.
Fortunately, the policy at my school holds that for any summative assessment where the student scores less than 70% they have the opportunity to do a "retake."  As you can see, I was kindly extended this option.


For your advanced education:


1 comment: